11th Annual Intergenerational Fall Clean-up
The multiple award winning 11th Annual Intergenerational Fall Clean-Up, collaboration between the Oneida County Youth Bureau, the Oneida County Office for the Aging and Continuing Care, Oneida County colleges, school districts and youth organizations had 500 youth volunteers deliver general yard clean-up services to 105 senior citizen locations county-wide.
Utica Junior Comets - 2006 Team
“The success of our Annual Intergenerational Spring and Fall Clean-Ups is a direct result of our dedicated, committed and hardworking youth volunteers and their mentors,” Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente, Jr. said. Picente added, “Our Oneida County senior citizens, who no longer can physically do the work or financially afford to have the work done for them, have benefitted tremendously from this initiative and its volunteers efforts. They continue to remind us that there is good in our youth, in our world and Oneida County is a special place to live.”
Waterville Student Council
UC Organization of Justice Studies
The 500 remarkable youth volunteers were representatives of the following Oneida County colleges, school districts and youth organizations.
- Utica College: Softball, Theta Phi Alpha, Alpha Phi Omegas, Pre-Health, Women’s Soccer, Women’s La Crosse, Baseball, Cross Country/Track & Field, Men’s Basketball and Organization of Justice Studies
- Mohawk Valley Community College: Criminal Justice Club, Rome, Phase I, Men’s Basketball, Community Outreach, Set Club and Sustainability Club
- Boys Scout Troop 21: Ed Gunn
- Kids Oneida Work Program: Tom Joslyn and Dave Calhoun
- Underground Café / Safe Schools: Lia Savage
- Oneida County Probation: Pat Cady
- Waterville High School: Student Council
- Sauquoit Valley High School: National Honor Society
- Proctor High School: Key Club and Environmental Club
- Vernon-Verona-Sherrill High School: Interact and National Honor Society
- New York Mills High School: Student Council
- Notre Dame High School: NJROTC Cadets
- Utica Academy of Science Charter School: Middle and High School Students
- Remsen High School: Student Volunteers
“With the outpouring of support given by our youth and the supportive number of youth volunteers represented these kids see the big picture,” Director of the Youth Bureau Kevin Green said. Green added, “compassion for those in need, caring enough to do the work, and bringing joy to others are three characteristics these 500 youth volunteers brought to Oneida Counties senior citizen population.”
MVCC Community Outreach
The 12th Annual 2020 Intergenerational Spring Clean-Up is scheduled for Saturday April 18th and Sunday April 19th and the 12th Annual 2020 Intergenerational Fall Clean-Up is scheduled for Saturday October 17th and Sunday October 18th. Any Oneida County colleges, school districts and youth organizations interested in volunteering should contact the Oneida County Youth Bureau at 798-5027. Any senior citizen interested in having their yard cleaned should contact the Oneida County Office for the Aging and Continuing Care at 798-5456.