Instructions for Pistol License Application
In order to pick up an application for a pistol license in Oneida County you must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be a resident of Oneida County for at least 1 year
- Show proof of the above 2 items with a valid NYS Drivers License ONLY.
- Show proof that you have had previous formal handgun training within the last three (3) years.
- A Certificate that you completed the required 16 hour classroom and 2hr live fire pistol course. The certificate received has to be in the Oneida County-approved format
- Active Military ID or recent discharge papers. (3 years)
- Active Police Officer or Corrections Officer status or recently retired (3 years)
Applications must be picked up in person.
Pistol Licensing - Public Office Hours:
UTICA: Oneida County Office Building
800 Park Ave., Utica, NY 13501
Office Hours: Monday - Friday - 8:30 AM to 12:00 AM and 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Phone: (315) 798-5821
ROME: Griffiss Business and Technology Park
706 Hangar Road - Corner of Brooks Road (Building 45), Rome, NY 13440
Office Hours: THURSDAYS ONLY - 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Phone: (315) 337-4675
What You Will Need To Bring To Pick Up An Application
- If a police officer or corrections officer a copy of your weapons qualify card and ID plus driver’s license and $10.00.
- If active military or retired in the last 3 years a copy of your current ID or DD-214 form, your drivers license and $10.00.
- National Guard proof of active service, driver’s license and $10.00.
- Civilian’s non-law enforcement, certificate from the 16 hour + 2 hour live fire course by our accepted instructors, drivers license and $10.00.