Preschool Special Education

This program provides educational and/or support services for children ages 3 and 4 years old with confirmed disabilities and/or delays  impacting their ability to learn. The program is directed through the New York State Department of Education within your home school district. Oneida County Health Department and the State Department of Education pay for all services.


If your child received Early Intervention as an infant or toddler to age 3 and may still need special education and/or support services, your service coordinator can assist you with transition planning to the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) within your home school district.
If your preschool age child (3-5 years old) did not receive Early Intervention but is having difficulty talking, learning, moving, using utensils/small objects and/or other growth or health challenges — you may make a referral to the Chairperson of your home school district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) who will assist you in completing the referral process.

There is no cost to families for evaluations or services, even if you have a higher income.

School District Special Education Contacts in Oneida County

School Phone Number


(315) 942-9206

Brookfield Central School

(315) 899-3323

Camden School District

(315) 245-3410

Central Square Central School

(315) 668-4220 ext. 70231

Clinton Central School

(315) 557-2229

Holland Patent Central School

(315) 865-4148

Madison Central School

(315) 893-7287

Mount Markham

(315) 822-2827

New Hartford

(315) 223-4727

New York Mills U. F. School

(315) 768-8125

Oneida City School

(315) 361-6007

Oriskany Central School

(315) 768-2048

Poland Schools

(315) 826-0210

Remsen Central School

(315) 205-4300

Rome City School

(315) 334-1258

Sauquoit Valley Central School

(315) 839-6330

VVS Central School

(315) 829-2520

Stockbridge Central School

(315) 495-4547

Webb U.F. School

(315) 369-3222

Utica City School

(315) 368-6001

Waterville Central School

(315) 841-3750

West Canada Valley

(315) 845-6801

Westmoreland Central School

(315) 557-2600

Whitesboro Central School

(315) 266-3300

How Does CPSE Work?

The school district will arrange for your child to be evaluated to see if there is a need for special education and/or support services. If the evaluation shows your child to be “eligible” then the CPSE, with your input, will develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to meet your child’s needs. CPSE services for preschool age children are determined “least restrictive” and can take place in your home, your child’s day care setting or within a special education classroom.

Services on an IEP may include:

  • Special Education
  • Speech Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Transportation
Oneida County Partners