Oneida County Historical Society

Divorce Records


How can I obtain copies of my divorce papers?


What if I live outside of Oneida County, can I request the documents by mail?

Divorce Decree or Judgment of Divorce:

  • Certified Copies are $5.00 up to 4 pages. If the Judgment of Divorce is more than 4 pages, the fee is $1.25 per each additional page.
  • This is a legal document that is signed by the Judge which outlines the basic facts of the divorce as well as the terms and conditions of child custody, child or spousal support, property division, etc.
  • A Divorce Decree is often needed for retirement purposes, to obtain a Passport, to change the name on a driver’s license and for issues involving the Social Security Administration.
  • Because these records contain sensitive personal identifying information, they can only be released to the Plaintiff, Defendant and/or their attorney(s) of record for the divorce.

Certificate of Divorce/Disposition:

  • Certificates of Divorce are $5.00 total
  • This document only contains the names of the Defendant and the Plaintiff and the date that the Judgment of Divorce was filed in the Oneida County Clerk’s Office.
  • You do NOT have to be a party of the divorce to obtain a Certificate of Divorce.
  • A Certificate will suffice in most legal proceeding in New York State, i.e. remarriages, City Court, Surrogate’s Court, etc.
  • Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, and credit card.
Oneida County Partners