How can I obtain copies of my divorce papers?
In New York State, divorce records are sealed for 100 years and are not available for public inspection.
- Divorce records can only be released to the Plaintiff, Defendant and/or the attorney of record (if applicable).
- Photo ID is required to view a divorce file.
- If you are not a party to the action, you will need to file a Motion requesting a Supreme Court Order, authorizing the Oneida County Clerk’s Office to release the records to you.
If you were divorced in Oneida County and need to obtain a Certified Copy of your Divorce Decree, please visit our office located on the 5th floor of the Oneida County Office building located at:
800 Park Avenue
Utica, NY 13501
- No appointment is necessary
Please bring a valid government-issued photo ID in the same name that appears on the Divorce documents.
If remarried or you are using a maiden name and no longer have photo ID, you must bring supplemental proof of the name change, such as a marriage license or a child’s birth certificate.
What if I live outside of Oneida County, can I request the documents by mail?
Please send the Oneida County Clerk a notarized letter requesting a Certified Copy of your Judgment of Divorce.
- There is a $5.00 search fee for every two year period that we must search if the date of divorce is not known.
- Please note the index number of the divorce if known, i.e. D2018005432
- Identify both parties of the divorce (Plaintiff and Defendant)
- Include a phone number so we can contact you to obtain your credit card information for payment.
*DO NOT include this information in your letter
*If you prefer to pay by cashier’s check or money order please call our offices at 315-798-5795 so we can verify the Judgment of Divorce and calculate a fee for you. Prices for Certified Copies vary based upon the volume of the Divorce Decree.
- Your letter MUST be signed in front of a Notary Public.
- Be sure to enclose a photocopy of your Driver’s License to prove that you are a party to the Divorce action.
*If you have remarried or reverted to your maiden name and/or no longer have a Photo ID in the name of the divorce, you must send us supplemental proof of name change, such as a marriage license or child’s birth certificate.
- Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope so we can return the Certified Copy properly to you.
Divorce Decree or Judgment of Divorce:
- Certified Copies are $5.00 up to 4 pages. If the Judgment of Divorce is more than 4 pages, the fee is $1.25 per each additional page.
- This is a legal document that is signed by the Judge which outlines the basic facts of the divorce as well as the terms and conditions of child custody, child or spousal support, property division, etc.
- A Divorce Decree is often needed for retirement purposes, to obtain a Passport, to change the name on a driver’s license and for issues involving the Social Security Administration.
- Because these records contain sensitive personal identifying information, they can only be released to the Plaintiff, Defendant and/or their attorney(s) of record for the divorce.
Certificate of Divorce/Disposition:
- Certificates of Divorce are $5.00 total
- This document only contains the names of the Defendant and the Plaintiff and the date that the Judgment of Divorce was filed in the Oneida County Clerk’s Office.
- You do NOT have to be a party of the divorce to obtain a Certificate of Divorce.
- A Certificate will suffice in most legal proceeding in New York State, i.e. remarriages, City Court, Surrogate’s Court, etc.
- Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, and credit card.