Are you a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one?
To connect with a Veterans Crisis Line responder anytime day or night:
•Dial 988 then press 1
•Start a confidential chat
•If you have hearing loss, call TTY: 800-799-4889
The Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program (SSG Fox SPGP) is a community-based outreach and suicide prevention program designed to reduce suicide risk and improve wellbeing for eligible Veterans and their families.
The SSG Fox SPGP is funded through the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program (SSG Fox SPGP), of which the County of Oneida was awarded. SSG Fox SPGP enables VA to provide resources toward community-based suicide prevention efforts to meet the needs of Veterans and their families through outreach, suicide prevention services, and connection to VA and community resources.
Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox:
The Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program (SSG Fox SPGP) honors Veteran Parker Gordon Fox, who joined the Army in 2014 and was a sniper instructor at the U.S. Army Infantry School at Ft. Benning, GA. Known for a life of generosity and kindness to others in need, SSG Fox died by suicide on July 21, 2020, at the age of 25.
• Peer support
• Case management
• Education on suicide risk and prevention to families and communities
• VA benefits assistance
• Assistance with obtaining and coordinating other benefits provided by the federal government, a state or local government, or an eligible entity
• Assistance with emergent needs relating to health care services, daily living services, personal financial planning and counseling, transportation services, temporary income support services, fiduciary and representative payee services, legal services to assist the eligible individual with issues that may contribute to the risk of suicide, and childcare
• Other services necessary for improving the mental health status and wellbeing and reducing the suicide risk of eligible individuals and their families as VA determines appropriate.
• Outreach to identify those at risk of suicide
The SSG Fox SPGP is a collaborative effort by the County of Oneida (Grantee), The Neighborhood Center, Inc. (Lead Service Agency) and The Utica Center for Development, Inc. (Collaborative Partner).
1. Oneida County, New York Resident
2. An eligible individual as defined by the SSG Fox SPGP
3. At risk of suicide, as identified by the SSG Fox SPGP
How to Enroll in the SSG Fox SPGP:
• Please submit an inquiry through the "Contact Us" section below
• Call: 315-601-4662 (this is also the Utica Center for Development’s emergency after hours number)
• U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Staff Sergeant Parker Gordon Fox Suicide Prevention Grant Program -
• Psycharmor’s 15 Things Veterans Want You to Know -
• SAMHSA’s Cultural Competency for Serving the Military and Veterans -
Photograph permissions have been granted to the County of Oneida by the Fox Family.