April 21, 2022
Oneida County STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic Returns
After a two-year hiatus, Oneida County Executive Anthony J. Picente Jr. today announced the return of the Oneida County STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic on April 23.
“We are happy to see this annual Oneida County tradition return after a two-year absence due to the pandemic,” Picente said. “For nine years, the STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic has served as a catalyst for raising awareness of the dangers of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs among student athletes and their families. This great event educates a captive audience on many health and safety issues while showcasing the abundant baseball talent we have throughout our community.”
The 9th Annual Oneida County STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic will take place at the Loop Road Baseball Complex at Hamilton College in Clinton and feature the following matchups:
- Waterville vs. Westmoreland at 11 a.m.
- Notre Dame vs. New Hartford at 2 p.m.
- Camden vs. Whitesboro at 5 p.m.
The following educational stations will be available to students and attendees at the event:
- Oneida County Sheriff’s Office -The Dangers of Texting & Driving
- Oneida County Health Department – Food for Fuel & Energize the Body
- New York State Police – The Importance of Seatbelts
- New York State Department of Transportation – The Dangers of Work Zone & Pedestrian Driving Safety
- Center for Family Life & Recovery – How Mental Health Impacts Physical Well-Being
All participating student athletes will also sign the county’s “Don’t Text & Drive Pledge.”
The Baseball Classic, which is free to the public, is a prelude to New York State’s No Empty Chair Campaign that kicks off next week and Teen Traffic Safety Week which takes place in May. Oneida County’s STOP-DWI program provides ongoing education to local school districts throughout the year.
Sponsors for the 9th Annual Oneida County STOP-DWI High School Baseball Classic include Adirondack Bank, Adjusters International-Basloe, Levin & Cuccaro, Cliff’s Local Market, Coca-Cola, Cooperstown Bat, First Source, IBEW-NECA Local 43, Mauro’s Glass, Mohawk Valley Community College, Oriskany Manufacturing Technologies, Pavia Real Estate Services, Preferred Mutual, Printaura.com, Utica Bread and WURTH.