Special Children Services


Early Intervention Program

Do you wonder if your child should be talking more?
Do you think your child should be walking by now?
As children grow, they learn new skills. Children learn to crawl, walk, and talk by certain ages. If you think your child is developing slowly, Early Intervention can help. Please call us at 315-798-5249 or Contact Us.
What is Early Intervention?
We can help a baby learn to roll over, sit up, and crawl.
We can help a child who has problems talking, hearing, feeding, grasping toys.
We can come to your home or to childcare.
We work with you to plan services for your child
There is no cost to families for any of these services, even if you have a higher income.
Who is eligible?
We help children under the age of three who are developing slowly
We help children diagnosed with a physical or medical condition that delays development
What do we do?
A service coordinator will arrange for your child to have a therapist come to your home to see if your child needs services.
A therapist will look at how your child is learning, thinking, talking, listening, growing, and interacting with others.
We help set up free services for your child including:
  • Service Coordination
  • Speech Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Nutrition Services
  • Social Worker
Do you want to know when your child should be learning new skills? Read more here [CDC link] http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/actearly/milestones/index.html


Preschool Special Educaton

This program provides educational and/or support services for children ages 3 and 4 years old with confirmed disabilities and/or delays  impacting their ability to learn. The program is directed through the New York State Department of Education within your home school district. Oneida County Health Department and the State Department of Education pay for all services. 

If your child received Early Intervention as an infant or toddler to age 3 and may still need special education and/or support services, your service coordinator can assist you with transition planning to the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) within your home school district.
If your preschool age child (3-5 years old) did not receive Early Intervention but is having difficulty talking, learning, moving, using utensils/small objects and/or other growth or health challenges — you may make a referral to the Chairperson of your home school district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) who will assist you in completing the referral process.
List of school district CPSE contacts in Oneida County: 
Adirondack 942-9204
Brookfield Central School 899-3323
Camden School District 245-3410
Central Square Central School 662-4275
Clinton Central School 557-2229
Holland Patent Central School 865-7215
Madison Central School 893-7287
Mount Markham 822-2828
New Hartford 738-9311
New York Mills U. F. School 768-3378
Oneida City School 363-1700
Oriskany Central School 768-2048
Poland Schools 826-0220
Remsen Central School 831-3797
Rome City School 334-1258
Sauquoit Valley Central School 839-6339
VVS Central School 829-2520
Stockbridge Central School 495-4547
Webb U.F. School 369-3222
Utica City School 792-2286
Waterville Central School 841-3700
West Canada Valley 845-6801
Westmoreland Central School 557-2639
Whitesboro Central School 266-3336
There is no cost to families for evaluations or services, even if you have a higher income.
How Does CPSE Work?
The school district will arrange for your child to be evaluated to see if there is a need for special education and/or support services. If the evaluation shows your child to be “eligible” then the CPSE, with your input, will develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to meet your child’s needs. CPSE services for preschool age children are determined “least restrictive” and can take place in your home, your child’s day care setting or within a special education classroom.
Services on an IEP may include:
  • Special Education
  • Speech Therapy
  • Physical Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Transportation


Children with Special Health Care Needs


Children with Special Health Care Needs is a referral program for children birth to 21 years of age who have or are suspected of having a serious or chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition that requires health and related services beyond that required by children generally.
  • Help coordinate referrals to specialty care providers
  • Limited Case Management
  • Access to health insurance, such as Child Health Plus and Medicaid
  • Information and Referrals to appropriate programs
Phone: 315-798-5249              Fax: 315-798-6441                 
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm